Sunday, January 1, 2017

New Year, New Camera

Welcome, 2017!

As I welcome in this new year, I also welcome to my family of cameras a Canon EOS M3 mirrorless camera. I guess I was good this year and Santa was definitely generous. I was excited and happy to find this camera under the Christmas tree.

I've never shot a mirrorless camera before but I've been intrigued by them for some time now. I shoot Canon equipment and Canon has been late coming to the mirrorless camera game so that has had a lot to do with it. And then too, I got my beloved Canon 80D earlier this year and I've really been enjoying that baby. 

But now I'm finding myself with this new mirrorless camera and as is the case with most new technology, there's a bit of a learning curve. And we all know that the way to get better at something is to practice, practice, practice! So I'm dusting off this ole blog and thinking I'll use it as a place to post a picture a day. A few years ago I did a similar thing, that was my 365 project in 2011. This time I'm not calling it a "365 project" because I don't think it's likely I'll be able to post daily for a year... I'm juggling too many balls these days. But, I'm going to try to post a picture a day for at least a few weeks until I get the hang of this new camera. Who knows, maybe I'll even take it beyond that. 

So these first photos are of my EOS 80D and my EOS M3, side by side. You can see how much smaller the M3 is. 




Some people like small cameras, some people prefer larger ones. I have arthritis in my spine which makes carrying a heavy camera/lens combo for any length of time rather painful. More recently, I've developed arthritis in my hands. So I've recently begun looking at mirrorless cameras for their smaller size and lighter weight. From that standpoint, I think I'm going to love my new M3. 

Happy New Year!

2 comments:

  1. Happy shooting. About two years ago, I checked out cameras and Best Buy had a display for the mirrorless cameras. I can't imagine carrying around the larger camera. Looking forward in seeing your new photos, so I'll have to keep my eyes open to see what you post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment, Barbara! :-) So you're shooting mirrorless too?! You can be my expert! I'm sure I'll come up with lots of questions...

    ReplyDelete