Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Church at Christmas


This is Sweetest Heart of Mary Catholic Church in Detroit, Michigan. It's a Polish ethnic parish and one my ancestors were founding members of. Epiphany, officially January 6 but celebrated this year on Sunday January 8, marks the end of the Christmas season for the Catholic church. In most Catholic churches in America that would mark the end of the Christmas decorations. However, the Poles leave their churches decorated until Candlemas, February 2nd. In keeping with the Polish tradition, Sweetest Heart will remain decorated until Candlemas.

I had the opportunity to photograph the church this week in all its holiday splendor. You absolutely must click on this image and view it larger to truly appreciate it. This view shows sections of the main altar and the north side altar (Mary's altar).

I used a wide angle lens (17-85mm zoom) on my Rebel to get this shot and then played with the perspective/distortion controls in Photoshop to remove the lens distortion that resulted. Then I cropped the uneven edges and sharpened the image using the Unsharp Mask tool. No color correction was necessary.

More photos from Sweetest Heart to follow in the next few days.

3 comments:

  1. Stunning does not describe, not even close. WOW and more WOW. I have no idea what perspective/distortion controls are, but they really work well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, guys!

    Carol, you ask the best questions and make great suggestions. I should have you preview my posts before I publish them so you can tell me what else I should add. I think I'm explaining myself well and then you go and ask something or point out something and I think, "gee, I should have included that", lol! Did you notice that I put my camera equipment on the right column of my blog? That was in response to a comment you made a while back inquiring about which camera I was using. And then there was your question about how grabbed the still shot from the video in Picasa... that was really good too. I'm gonna have to get around to that again one of these days.

    So now I'm thinking I should have included a "before" pic on this post to show what the image looked like before I altered it. You're making more work for me, girl! ;-)

    ReplyDelete