Friday, January 13, 2012

The Grandeur of Sweetest Heart

This is Sweetest Heart of Mary Catholic Church in Detroit as seen from the choir loft. The large stained glass windows in the transepts can't been seen from this view, and of course you can't see the organ from this view either because it was behind me, but you can see a few of the many other stained glass windows that line the north and south sides of the church. This view gives you a feel for how large this church is. It seats 2500. When compared to present day mega-churches it is not all that impressive but it is the largest Catholic church in the Archdiocese of Detroit.

This was the first time I photographed the church from the choir loft. (I have a fear of heights and this is the first time I faced my fears and climbed the winding staircase to the balcony. My heart was pounding and I broke out in a sweat but I got the picture!)

2 comments:

  1. I for one, am glad you faced that fear, because I am looking at a beautiful photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spectacular shot! What time of day was this? The light is superb.

    ReplyDelete