Sunday, January 8, 2012

Bird of Prey

Some days great photo ops present themselves when you're not expecting them or planning for them. Today was one of those days. We left early for church this morning for no particular reason. Good thing we did because we saw this bird on a highway light pole and had plenty of time to grab some great photos.


Do you recognize this bird? It's obviously a bird of prey, but which one? I did some searching online but couldn't figure out what it is. (Thankfully I have friends who know their birds better than I do. See below to find out what kind of bird this is.) It's a large bird as you can tell from picture below (those freeway lights are huge).


From straight on it almost looks like an owl of some sort. But from a profile view it reminds me of an eagle. But not exactly. A baby?


Here's the back view. It's a very pretty bird, isn't it?

These images were shot with my Rebel using a 55-250mm zoom lens. I had beautiful morning sun and crystal blue skies. It doesn't get better than that!

Bird species: Red tailed hawk (juvenile)

5 comments:

  1. Believe it is a hawk, possibly the red tailed hawk, as found on this wikipedia page:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red-tailed_Hawk

    Go down the page opposite, "Diet"

    Great shots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, you're right Carol. It's a juvenile red tailed hawk. I checked out the pics on Google and that's the bird I was looking at. :-) It's good to have friends who know their birds. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome, wasn't that fun?? :-))

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cutie. I see the red tailfeathers now that you have identified it.

    ReplyDelete