Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Day 260, This Week in My Garden

It's been a couple weeks since we last visited my garden. It's still blooming but not as enthusiastically. I thought my handful of loyal blog visitors might be getting tired of seeing photos of the same ole flowers over and over again so this time you get to see them with filter effects.

The roses are still looking lovely...
Some years I've had blooms into November. I hope this year is the same story!

I never tire of seeing the roses... buds, partially opened, full bloomers, or petals on the ground.

These flowers that I've been watching for over a month now are finally making their show. This pic doesn't do them justice. Without the filter you'd see the bright, deep magenta color they really are.

The butterfly bush still has some blooms on it but I haven't seen any butterflies in well over a week. I'm pretty sure they are done for the season. Even the bees have become scarce. This guy was was the only one I saw on the bush.

The purple and pink Rose of Sharon bushes still have some blossoms but not many.

And I caught a moth on the spirea bushes.

It would be nice if the flowers would keep at it until the leaves of the trees develop their color show. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

3 comments:

  1. Never tire of gorgeous flower photos! Your roses are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Carol! I never tire of flower photos. What do you do to make your roses bloom so well? Roses are one of my failures. Most have either died or are scrawny. I only have one that does well from year to year. What's your secret?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's the secret... roses are pigs. Seriously, you have to feed them generously and often. Also, the more sunshine the better. Mine do well even in poor soil conditions (lots of clay) because they are fed frequently (and watered too). We occasionally dust them for blight, mites, etc. but if you feed them enough they can better fight off the other things that can destroy them and they tolerate overwatering/drought better too. Feed the pigs!

    ReplyDelete