Thursday, August 4, 2011

Day 212, Tiger Swallowtail Butterfly

I got lucky and was able to get a picture of the yellow butterfly that I wasn't able to photograph the other day. He was much trickier to photograph than the Monarch was yesterday. This guy stayed in one place long enough but he never stopped rapidly fluttering his wings. I took a half dozen pics and this is the only one that doesn't have motion blur. And of course he didn't stick around the bush long enough for me to play with settings. Sometimes you just have to shoot and hope for the best!

4 comments:

  1. Oh, what a beautiful butterfly, the colors are so pretty . . . wonderful photo, Jasia. What is the name of the flower the butterfly is resting on? I want to start a butterfly garden . . . plant flowers that will attract those beautiful creatures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The technical name for the bush is "buddleja" but most everybody just calls it "the butterfly bush". It comes in several colors, white, pink, purple, lavender, and maybe more. You can read about here on wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddleja

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot tell you how many shoot and hope for the best photos I have taken in the last year or so. Sometimes I even get lucky and they are good. This one is lovely. Really lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Jasia, the perfect plant to attract butterflies to my home. Off to the nursery I go!

    ReplyDelete