Friday, May 6, 2011

Day 122, Remembering Mom

Lucille Lisowski Lasky 1918-2007

It's been 4 years now since my mom died. With Mother's Day just a few days away I find myself thinking of her often. I took my time in setting up the scene for this photo. I knew just what I wanted in it... the tree with pictures of her taken over the years, the yellow silk scarf she always wore, and an old watch of hers.

Yellow was Mom's favorite color and the scarf was one my brothers bought for her when they were young (with money they earned from their paper routes). Of course she'd gotten other scarves over the years, I have 2 other of hers. But the yellow scarf is the one she wore most. It's unraveled in places but that doesn't matter. I don't take it out often because I don't want it to lose its scent. It smells just like the attic of the house I grew up in. Even now when I hold it up to my face I can smell the "old" of the attic. It brings back happy memories of rainy days when I was a child... when there was nothing to do and she would take me upstairs into the attic and I'd get to explore.

I don't remember Mom ever wearing this particular watch. She gave it to me many years ago, long before she died. It wasn't working when she gave it to me and it doesn't work now. I keep thinking one of these days I'll take it in to a repair shop to get it fixed, but I never do. Mom always wore a watch but she wore the traditional kind on her wrist. She didn't get dressed for the day without her watch. Neither did my dad. I'm the same way. I no doubt got that from them.

The pictures of my mom... the top pic was taken in a studio when she was 4 years old. The next row down on the left is a picture of her from the summer after her high school graduation (1936) when she was almost 18 years old. On the right, same row, is a studio portrait of her taken when she was 25 years old. The second row down on the left is a picture of Mom taken in the 1940s when she was still a single girl all dressed up to go out to the dance halls with her girlfriends. How she loved to dance! Same row on the right is pic of Mom taken at a summer picnic with the family in 1949. Bottom row left is Mom in 1977 at my wedding and on the right is a studio picture of her from the 1980s.

After I downloaded the pictures I took of the scene, I started playing with filters. I wanted to make the photo look old, like 1940s-50s old. I made it properly yellowed (the photo tree is actually pewter in color) which worked well with the yellow scarf, softened it, and gave it scalloped edges. Perfect. Just what I'd envisioned in my mind. :-)

Now I'm off to the cemetery to visit Mom's grave. How I wish I could have just one more Mother's Day with her...

DPS Image: Mother

3 comments:

  1. Awesome, beautiful, well done. Clap, clap, clap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful. You made me cry today. I know what you mean about a particular scent bringing you back. It's like for one split second you're back at than old place in time...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a very beautiful tribute to your mom, Jasia. It brought tears to my eyes . . . this will be my first mother's day without my mom. I am trying to come up with a post but it's difficult. You did an amazing post . . . using things of hers that mean so much to you and bring back those childhood memories. I have several wraps that mom wore frequently, I have them put away so I don't lose "the scent of her" . . . I knew exactly what you meant. Your photo is perfect Jasia. Happy Mother's Day to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete