Monday, April 4, 2011

Thoughts and Reflections at 90 Days

When I started this 365 Project I didn't create a master plan, a theme, a goal, or a direction. It just sounded like a fun idea and from what I read about others who have done it, it makes you a better photographer by the end of it. What's not to like about that? Now here I am 90 days into the project and I have to admit it's more challenging than I would have guessed.

You'd think it would be easy to remember something I've committed to do every day but there have been several nights when I crawled into bed before it dawned on me that I didn't take a picture that day. By that point I was tired and not in the mood to be creative. The pictures I've taken show that. :-(

And then there are those days when I look around my house and wonder what might be interesting to photograph... and I come up with nothing. That almost always happens on rainy/snowy days when shooting outside is something I'd prefer to avoid and my subject options are limited. I stretch myself on those days and sometimes I come up with something I like and sometimes I don't.

Part of my problem is that I can't make up my mind if my photoblog is supposed to be a visual diary capturing my year in pictures or if it's supposed to be a showcase of artsy photos. It's turned out to be some of both and not particularly successful at either. The best pictures are those that capture my day in an artsy way. That's what I strive for but not something I achieve most days. I find that I'm most successful when I plan ahead and make shooting pictures a priority, but I can't always do that.

I've learned that I'm sort of a lazy photographer. I prefer to look for photo ops rather than create them. However, I'm not lazy when it comes to downloading and tagging my pictures as I go. I don't post my pictures to my blog everyday but that's more because I'm busy with other things rather than because I'm bored and don't want to do it.

I've also learned that some themes can be inspirational. I've been following the DPS themes for this year and have discovered that it's fun trying to figure out how to photograph the theme for the week. Some are easier than others but all have been good for me. I've also enjoyed executing my own themes, e.g. black and white week, and fun with filters month. I see myself doing more of this going forward.

I'm trying hard not to photograph my dog and cat too much. They are good subjects in a pinch but I don't want my blog to be all about them. I'm trying not to photograph any one subject too much for the same reason.

OK, so those are my thoughts at this point. We'll see what changes over time.

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO HAS COMMENTED ON MY PHOTOS! I really appreciate the comments and I hope you will continue to visit my blog and comment when a photo deserves it!

4 comments:

  1. I've enjoyed all 90 days. And, it doesn't matter to me what you shoot. (Although, I am partial to your cat, sunsets, and flowers.) Very nice work Jasia, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your very kind comment, Barbara!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Am enjoying ALL your photos, and am learning with you. Can't wait to see where you go next.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Artistic shots. Everyday things from a different point of view. The mundane. The unusual. Always (well, almost always) something interesting! But it sure is fun to see what you come up with each day!!

    ReplyDelete